Ingredients for 4 people:
- 4 RED ONIONS
- 160 GRAMS CHESTNUT FLOUR
- 2 SPOONS WHOLE MILK
- 80 GRAMS WALNUT KERNELS
- 1 SPOON EXTRA VIRGIN OLIVE OIL
- Adjust the taste with SALT
- 4 EGGS
- Adjust the taste with marjoram
- 6 SLICES PORK CHEEK
- 240 GRAMS FLOUR 00
Chestnut flour fettuccine with onion sauce: how to prepare the pasta at home
1) To prepare fettuccine di farina di castagne at home, mix chestnut flour with type 00 flour and add a pinch of salt. Then, make a hole in the center on the surface and add the eggs, milk and extra virgin olive oil. Beat the eggs with a fork and incorporate the flour until you have a fairly full-bodied mixture. Now, mix it with your hands for a few minutes and once you have a smooth and elastic dough, let it rest for 10 to 15 minutes. Should the dough be too soft, add more flour.
2) Now cut the dough into pieces and mix them with a rolling pin or pasta machine until you get a thin sheet. After that, fold each sheet at least 3 or 4 times. Then, cut it into strips of at least 1.5 cm wide. Finally open and lay them on a dry cloth, sprinkle them with flour and let them rest.
Preparation of chestnut flour fettuccine with onion sauce
1) You will need about 85 minutes to prepare the fettuccine recipe. After making the pasta at home, concentrate on the sauce. Put the walnuts in the oven at a temperature of 170° for at least 10 to 12 minutes, then season them with extra virgin olive oil and salt before chopping them up.
2) Toast the slices of pork cheek or rigatino in a nonstick skillet and let them brown without any seasoning. Meanwhile, put the fettuccine made of chestnut flour to cook.
3) While the pasta is cooking, chop the onions and add them to the pork cheek along with the marjoram. Let them cook for 15 minutes until they caramelize and add a ladleful of the pasta cooking water. Once ready, drain the pasta and toss it with the onion sauce over low heat, then serve with the chopped walnuts and crumbled pork cheek.